Sunday, December 18, 2016

Why I do not like Gundam

Why I do not like Gundam


1/144 RG RX-78GP01 Gundam GP01 Zephyranthes

Honestly when I had planned to write this article, I thought that I would write a lot of letters... In fact, there are an incredible number of Gundam, which I never buy, because they have something I do not like it... But when I began to pour out on paper that tormented me for a long time, I realized that there is not a huge number of little things which repel me from buying... in fact there are only a few large common things for multiple unsuccessful decisions in different kits. Next, I will explain what kind of bad stuff is.

Today I decided to talk why I do not like some Gundam models. What moments, details, small things, repel me from this or that Gundam model.
In fact, it is quite a broad question, and as is usual in such situations, you cannot just say what the problem is. Considering how many different parts are included in each model, it will be extremely difficult to identify something that is not pleasing to the eye. For this will have to use the old and time-tested method, “from simple to complex”.

First
Often a hardly noticeable, but for me very important factor is the lack of an internal frame! This is perhaps the most powerful argument for me in choosing the next kit. Of course, I find it quite funny, because in fact, at the end of the build process, most often the inner frame is not even visible.
Just think of it, why it is so important to me the existence of this stuff... I often think about it, but I do not have more or less complete answer... Maybe for me it is important that there was something in the middle of the figure.
And perhaps the fact that before the Gundam model will be on the shelf and take a pose, I'll build it, and if the built processes of plastic model of a giant robot will be a little like building a real robot, I'll be much more happy and pleased.
I incredibly like when from under the armor, in those places where it breaks or ends, when it stick out internal parts of the machine. This adds depth, fullness to the model, the fact that the model of the robot imitate not only outside but also inside, boosts my imagination. In the end, I always thought Gundam is example of great design, and there is nothing surprising about the fact, that I want to see this design was everywhere, both outside and inside.
In this connection, I drew attention to a series of High Grade IBO ... among them, each model has an internal frame, and also the design of the Gundam has a feature in the armor robots a lot of open spaces, enough areas where the inner frame can show itself, and this seems to me a great idea! By this, I ordered several kits high grade, from the IBO series, although previously I thought that would never build high grades because they are boring and they do not have the inner frame.

Second
Another simple enough point, I think the color separation.
It seems to me that the beautiful Gundam model undue have a large surface areas not separated by color.
Of course, for this the developers have to make such surfaces from more than one individual part, but it's just, I think, a positive thing! The more details, the more fun to build!
And the color separation can be done without adding the parts, but by removing it. Which incidentally turned out well in the IBO series where basically the Gundam have one color, but individual armor panels alternate with holes and openings, through which we can see the inner frame, which, Is represents just the second color in model.


Third
I really do not like when the model does not have enough panel lines!
Probably this is one of the most important things! That is why I know, that will never buy PG Zeta it looks terrible, huge surface without a single seam, what designers thought?! RG Zetas simply divine in this regard!
Of course it can be assumed that this is done for those fans of our hobby who love independently work on seams, come up and cut it by own hands. But let's be honest, how much these people are more than the usual builders, who want only to build a model and paint it... But not to mess around with each individual piece of armor and cut panel lines!
So I do not know why, but among the models of all sizes can find options with a minimum of panel lines. And for me it is the fact, which means: do not buy this model.


fourth
Plastic parts with metal effect. Most often, it is gold. Of course, this is my opinion. But I do not like these sort of gold details. They remind me the old cheap Chinese toys. They do not look like real metal, and in this, I do not see the point of their use.


Well, probably the last

Somehow I already wrote about it. I should add here, too. I do not like when the Gundam is heavily round and smooth shape in its design ...
It seems to me that a giant combat robot must be quite brutal. I understand that some angel wings are part of Japanese culture, or used in any manner for the allegory, analogies, it is necessary for the story ... I have no doubt that are many people who like it but ... I do not belong to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment